Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Baby(Google) come back!

My Internet browsing process has been a nightmare recently. I don't know what is coming over this computer, but one day Internet Explorer suddenly just baulks on me and stops working properly. I can't Google with Internet Explorer, can't use Yahoo, AOL, MSN, or any search engine. Imagine that! Life without search engines! I only just realised the key role of these entities in my life. It's not only that I can't Google, but no other search engine lets me through. Everytime I type something in the form, the results never load.

And what's life like without them?

Let me demonstrate. First, after watching exquisitely beautiful Odette Yustman on Cloverfield just a few weeks ago, I wanted to see her biography, and filmography, and stuff. So I head on down to Google, and key in the search term "Odette Yustman". Nothing shows up, just a blank screen that fails to load even after about 5 minutes. And then I, trying to find a way around this, go to all the other major search engines on the web that I know of and attempt the search, but to no avail.

This meant I had to fall back on sites I already knew of, most of which were very generic sites like Imdb.com and the all-powerful-but-boring-and-with-few-pictures Wikipedia. Wikipedia is not suited for a task like this because there are annoyingly few pictures and when I search for a beautiful actress, I don't want to just see words and data.

See the reliance on even a sub-category of the World Wide Web? It's not enough if I have the Internet, with its billions of websites and infinite information. So what if there's Web 2.0? I need a search engine. Need with the capital N.

Technology is taking over the world.

Maybe it's Skynet. Forgive me for saying that, but I just finished watching Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles over the past three days. And even I, being the noncomittal, occasional sci-fi type of guy, was hooked to the series. You have to watch it to know what I'm talking about, but the concept of the time travelling is too cool, and the way time travel interlinks the characters fates is awesome to ponder(for geek me). Summer Glau does a perfect, deadpan job as the robot from the future, and is good eyecandy even though I wouldn't call her pretty.

Go Google her if you want. In my opinion, TSCC is an awesome geek show, and a rather good sci-fi series. And if you've kept up with the Terminator series(even though the first movie was way back in 1984), it's the show for you.

Oh, I can't get pictures of Summer Glau now because I lack a search engine.

No comments: